One of the biggest sporting events of the world is Wimbledon 2016. The tennis fans from around the world look forward to getting a ticket to fly over to UK and get seats to watch the matches of the top players in the tennis world. Wimbledon 2016 will be beginning from 27 June 2016, Monday. However, if you are not already aware of whom to root for this year, then have a look at the top five players from United Kingdom, who hold a lot of promises.
While few of them might have already become icons in the game, few are emerging to be as successful as these champions are. Let us look through few of the top five players from the UK who are going to rock this year at the Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championship.
- Andrew Murray: Having played over 1687000 Singles and 101000 Doubles’ matches, this tennis star from North Scotland is surely the best player in Great Britain right now. He holds the second position as per ATP World Tour ranking. His career has so far seen 585 Wins vis-à-vis 171 losses and 37 titles to show the world the mettle he is made of. Andrew Murray was the Wimbledon champion in 2013. Andrew Murray’s latest win is at Queens Club against Milos Raonic and lifting the Queens Club Trophy for the fifth time!
- Laura Robson: One of the most prominent stars of Women’s tennis from UK is Laura Robson. Recently, she was in news due to her fitness-related issues, but she is positive of making waves in the upcoming Wimbledon. She had begun her career in tennis on a global scale when she played the International Tennis Federation Junior Tour in 2007. From there, she has risen to a much higher ranking worldwide. She won the WTA Newcomer of the Year in 2012, and became the first British woman since Jo Durie to reach the WTA Main tour final.
- Johanna Konta: Another rising star in lawn tennis, who is supposed to make more records this Wimbledon, is Johanna Konta. Though she had represented Australia till 2012, she relocated to Great Britain and became a British citizen. She has already reached the World Ranking of 18 this June in Singles and has her best doubles ranking reached at 95 this February.
- Aljaz Bedene: He is the Number two ranking in the British tennis He has won nine challenger titles in singles and one challenger title in doubles. His career-high ranking is 45, which he reached in 2015. He too holds immense promise of Great Britain fans in this Wimbledon. In fact, even Andy Murray is all praise for this rising talent in tennis and has told off the critics in a very clear manner. He has very openly shown support to Aljaz Bedene and welcomed him with all heart to team Great Britain too. So, we are left to see the moves this young man has to offer this Wimbledon.
- Heather Watson: The most recent outing for Heather Watson at Eastbourne might not have been really something to talk back home, but nevertheless, she is in top shape and ready for Wimbledon. She is a British player though she has been playing from Guernsey, FL, USA. She won her first WTA singles title in 2012 in Japan Open. She thereby, became the first British woman to get that honour.
These players from the UK are surely noteworthy, and it will be great to watch them play in front of the fans at Wimbledon from 27 June, 2016 to 7 July, 2016. All these top players will be fighting it out to get to the highest ranking and making their mark.
Now that you have found the dates and sorted out the players you might want to watch out for, Guanabana restaurant would be an enjoyable place watching Wimbledon Tennis Championship 2016 on 100" Screen. Do not forget to take a bite of Sticky Licky Beef ribs, Jamaican Jerk Chicken, or a chunk of Barbecue pulled beef burger with hand cut chips wash it down with guanabana mojito during the game with friends.